- He is the author of the critically acclaimed books, Lone Wolf Terrorism, and The Terrorist Trap: America’s Experience with Terrorism.
- In Lone Wolf Terrorism: Understanding the Growing Threat, he uncovers the diversity in motivations. backgrounds, and strategies of lone wolf terrorists and discusses what can be done to deal with this growing threat.
- Through interviews with terrorists and their victims, with reporters, government officials, and others, he brings to life a tale of Presidents and terrorists, media and society, all entangled in the drama of international violence.
- His writings on terrorism have also appeared in many publications, including The Journal of the American Medical Association, Foreign Policy, The Columbia Journal of World Business, and The New York Times.
- He is a much sought after terrorism expert, having been interviewed on CNN, CBS Sunday Morning, FOX News Channel, MSNBC, Bloomberg TV, National Public Radio, BBC, Mutual Radio Broadcasting System, NBC and ABC Radio News, Voice of America, Time, and many other television programs, radio shows, newspapers, and magazines throughout the U.S. and overseas.