- Kate Harding is the author of Asking For It: The Alarming Rise of Rape
Culture–and What We Can Do About It.
- Every seven minutes, someone in America commits a rape. In Asking for It, Harding combines in-depth research with an in-your-face voice to make the case that twenty-first-century America supports rapists more effectively than victims.
- As a freelance writer, she has been published in outlets such as Bitch, Jezebel, Dame and Broad(sheet), as well as The Guardian, Cosmopolitan, The Minneapolis Star-Tribune, The New York Daily News, and many more.
- Kate is currently at work on a Ph.D. in creative writing and has joined The Loft Literary Center as a teaching artist .
- Kate has lectured to college audiences around the country on rape culture, body image, and writing.
Deft and timely... Informative and informal, the book is a smart, impassioned and well-researched agenda for a strictly no-nonsense understanding of rape culture.......[Harding's] humor serves as refreshing comic relief given the tenor of the subject."
Kate effectively communicated the prevalence of rape on college campuses, and many of the surrounding legal and social issues, without getting lost in the hopelessness of it all. She stressed that students must take personal responsibility for their own behavior while also protecting each other.
The event went EXTREMELY well! Kate is an amazing speaker and the students loved her! ...It was a very successful event!
Many key people on campus said she was the best speaker on sexual assault prevention/awareness we have ever had